Re: 2.2r3 test images

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Bernd Hentig wrote:

> Well, nowadays 700 MB CD-R are even cheaper than 650 MB, so I really
> don't mind. Is there any *real* reason why the 650 MB limit is still kept ?
> I mean, 700 MB CD-R can be read by all modern CDROM drives except 1x/2x
> proprietary drives from about 10 years ago. Ok, I understand Pentium
> processors also have to be compatible with 8088 since there is so many
> software written for 8088, but does it really affect more than 0.001 %
> of all users ?

Few people are aware that many of "our" old machines have ended up in
developing countries, esp. through the many partnerships that schools/
universities have with similar institutions there. From what I've heard, Linux
is quite popular there, because it has practically no hardware requirements.
IMHO it would be wrong to add requirements when we can easily avoid that. I
think your affected 0.001% is quite a bit too low -- however you don't
generally hear of those users because they're not only a "few" years behind on
hardware, but also on net connectivity.

(BTW, as a .nl CD vendor I'm still burning 650MB CD-Rs, because _quality_
700MB's are still more expensive here.)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer