Re: 2.2r3 test images

On Mon, 7 May 2001, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> Few people are aware that many of "our" old machines have ended up in
> developing countries, esp. through the many partnerships that schools/
> universities have with similar institutions there. From what I've heard, Linux
> is quite popular there, because it has practically no hardware requirements.
> IMHO it would be wrong to add requirements when we can easily avoid that. I
> think your affected 0.001% is quite a bit too low -- however you don't
> generally hear of those users because they're not only a "few" years behind on
> hardware, but also on net connectivity.

This is also true of the Fourth World, the micro nations of the Pacific.

> (BTW, as a .nl CD vendor I'm still burning 650MB CD-Rs, because _quality_
> 700MB's are still more expensive here.)

I have just used up the last of a batch of 700 MB discs and I will not be
using them again.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - preferred.           philipc@debian.org