Re: quality of the cd images we are offering

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Santiago Vila wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Since I have recently bought a CD-writer, and I'm also concerned about CD
> quality and usefulness. I found this in CD #1:
>
> home:/cdrom# find . -type f -name "kernel-source*" -printf "%f\n"
> kernel-source-2.0.38_2.0.38-3.deb
> kernel-source-2.0.36_2.0.36-3.deb
> kernel-source-2.2.10_2.2.10-1.deb
> kernel-source-2.2.12_2.2.12-4.deb
> kernel-source-2.2.13_2.2.13-2.deb
> kernel-source-2.2.15_2.2.15-3.deb
> kernel-source-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1.deb
> kernel-source-2.2.18pre21_2.2.18pre21-1.deb
>
> This takes more than 92Mb from Binary-1 CD, which, in theory, was
> supposed to be "as useful as possible for a single CD". We could use
> most of that space for more useful packages than old kernel releases.
>
> Should not we try to avoid putting so much crap in CD #1?

Agreed, and half of a fix is still lying around here waiting until someone
fixes date(1) to give me 30+ hours/day ;-)

> In either case, we could really make an effort and release 2.2r3 in
> sync (kernel-wise) for all six architectures, as we already do with
> the testing distribution.

Could be a problem because many ports use non-standard kernel trees that are
lagging behind the official Linus version. But should probably better be
discussed on -devel.

> Also, I wonder if it is really useful to waste 30 Mb of data for the
> 1.20 floppies almost nobody uses. Would be possible to write a simple
> script which generates the base-*.bin files from base2_2.tgz etc. and ship
> the script instead of the images?

Ask on -boot.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer