mkisofs, cdrecord, 74min vs 80min CDROM media

Looking for info regarding my problem.  This is my post at some forums,
sorry for not wanting to type it all again.

                                  What I am using:
                                  Alpha'a running Digital UNIX 4.0d
                                  SCSI Yamaha CD-RW
                                  cdrecord 1.9 w/ packaged mkisofs

                                  I updated from cdrecord 1.6.1 to 1.9
hoping to solve this problem, but to no luck, here I am.

                                  I am burning iso9660CD CDs. Here are my
commands:
                                  /usr/local/bin/mkisofs -a -d -L -l -v -V
$VLABEL -o /dist/party3rd.img ../party3rd
                                  /usr/local/bin/cdrecord -v -eject -dev=5,0
-speed=2 /dist/party3rd.img

                                  Note: The speed is at 2. I lowered that
hoping to solve the problem, no luck. I am leaving it there to elimate that
issue.

                                  Background:
                                  We have been making these CDs for almost a
year now. I have verified some of the older CDs and they are not having this
                                  problem. This problem arose when we
changed media, as far as I can tell (Corporate express doesnt keep the old
stuff
                                  around). In the past we used IMATION (old
3m) 650 Meg 74min, up to 8x I think. The new IMATION is this 80 min 700
                                  Meg stuff. No work. So I thought, oh
simple, get some 74 min 650 stuff. Still not working with our new Verbatim
74min
                                  650Meg.

                                  Poblems we are seeing:
                                  Old problem:
                                  We has an 86 Meg tar file. The tar file
was being corrupted and I would get I/O errors when I did a tar tvf.

                                  Middle problems:
                                  Same tar problem as above.
                                  The directory logicaly after the tar file
is all messed up. Binary data in bourne shell scripts. Real weird. If I did
a strings
                                  load.sh, it wouldnt even show anything,
all binary data.

                                  Current problems:
                                  tar problem has seemed to go away.
                                  diretory after that, the files seem ok,
but uerf -R is reporting CAM SCSI errors while I do a file * on the
directory, and it
                                  takes forever to complete.

                                  Anyone who can give some insight into this
topic and/or has used these utilities before, I would greatly appreciate it.

                                  Possibilites:
                                  CD-RW going bad.
                                  mkisofs having problems with such a large
file. I am going to test expanding that tar file out and recording then.
Though 2
                                  files logically before it are 56 and 62
Meg respectively.

Notes:
I am not using the -a command anymore, that was removed with the latest
version of mkisofs i got with cdrecord-1.9.

Also, I noticed with the mkisofs I did just a minute ago (with debug on)
that it sorted the directories making the last directory /nsr, and the next
to last directory being netscape.  /nsr is the directory with all the errors
(CAM SCSI errors) and netscape is the directory with the 86 Meg file.

Thanks for the input,
Jason Allison
Northrop Grumman Corp