Re: Woody Packages files etc.

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 05:22:53PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 05:32:39PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> I'm looking at patching debian-cd to use ftparchive for woody
>> CDs. I'll keep people posted on progress...
>
>Actually, a better idea, theoretically is to just copy the Packages files
>from the archive.

[ good reasons snipped ]

>The downside is that the Packages files on each CD will thus list a bunch
>of packages that don't actually exist. apt-cdrom will complain about this
>atm, but otherwise work fine...
>
>The other upside is that just copying Packages files is probably a lot
>easier and quicker than using dpkg-scanpackages or apt-ftparchive. :)

*grin* That's a good point too. It would be nice to get apt-cdrom to
not complain about the missing files soon, if it's not been done
already. I'm assuming that apt-cdrom checks the files on each CD as
you add it using apt-cdrom, rather than when it's actually trying to
find files to install. In fact, I've got the source - I'll check.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                   stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"It's actually quite entertaining to watch ag129 prop his foot up on