Re: Suggestions for 2.2 r1

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Bernd Hentig wrote:

> Yes, you got it right. I'm native German and I am not a fanatic German
> speaker, but own a German keyboard and for some reason or another
> it is very convenient to have German localization from time to time ;-)
> However, I can see that having manuals etc. of several dozen international
> languages (from Korean to Russion to Indian) will take quite a lot of
> disk space or download time.
>
> Perhaps there should be different localized Debian CDROM images -
> i.e. debian-i386-us-1.iso, debian-i386-euro-1.iso, debian-i386-asian-1.iso,
> etc.
> We already have 'non-US', so this could disappear then since
> only the "us"-Version of the first Debian CD would not have
> crypto support, all other countries and continents should be fine.
> (I do hate "non-US" anyway - this sounds a bit like "outside of
> civilization" ;)

I in fact produce a localized Debian CD set where non-English languages
are moved to the last CD so I have considerable sympathy with this.
However this documentation only takes about 7-8 MB, but is occurs twice,
/install/doc and in ../disks-i386/current/doc.  Let's get rid of the
second.

If the size of the non-English documentation got up to 20 MB (about 3% of
the first CD) then I think it would be time to look at this again.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818