Re: Broken bootable SPARC CD#1, and why this happened

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 06:31:04AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> Well, you get the point. I don't want to place blame. I just don't want to
> see this shit happen again. Here's what I want to see next time (2.2 r1):

Well, one thing that'd help would be having a cdimage.debian.org that
doesn't crash all the time. That's the main reason we didn't have any
time at all to check things, or for Phil to double check things with you
as to how things should be done when the first sparc images didn't work.

Another thing that would help is getting this stuff more automated and
common. While boot-floppies and kernels and cd images are all being
made by one or two people who know how to tweak the settings correctly,
we're going to keep having problems like this. Much better, IMO, to setup
cdimage.debian.org (or similar) to build a new set of CDs once a week,
automatically, ideally straight from debian-cd.deb.

More directly though, we should be able to very easily setup some automated
tests to make sure this doesn't happen again. After building the CDs, mount
them over loopback and checking device files have correct ownerships and
permissions, or check that various packages in base are all on CD#1, or
similar.

The more checking and testing we can offload from volunteers onto machines,
the better. We can always get more machines, getting more people with the
requisite clues and free time is much harder.

YMMV.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark