Re: availability of .list files

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> I would like to use the Pseudo-Image kit.  Unfortunately, while there are
> plenty of package mirrors, I am having a hard time finding .list files that
> match the packages on the mirrors (warnings on every package when running
> make-pseudo-image).  Perhaps you could make your Pseudo-Image kit
> documentation/web pages much more clear and specific about how one can find
> a correlating set of packages and .list files and rsync servers.  No package
> mirrors I have looked at have any .list files at all, it seems only the few
> ISO mirrors have them.  It seems you should encourage package mirrors to
> include  .list files.  I am just about frustrated enough to make a small
> bogus binary-i386.iso file and run rsync on it.  I would be glad to be more
> well-mannered and get the packages from other servers as you suggest if it
> was more clear how/where to do it.

The .list files must match the .iso files, and _not_ the FTP archive. Whenever
a file changes on the FTP sites, and not on the CD images, it becomes totally
useless for the pseudo-image generation. The files are compressed, and a
single bit's change in the uncompressed version results in very large changes
in the compressed file.

The .list files of the last "stable" CD images (2.1r4) are available on
  http://www.uk.debian.org/debian-cd/cd-images
as indicated in the Kit's README file, though mirrored .list files should of
course have exactly the same contents.

.list files of the last "beta" CD images (2.2 test-cycle-2) can be found via
  http://cdimage.debian.org/potato_pre.html

Your biggest problem (and ours, too) is that the 2.1r4 images are very old,
and that the FTP site has changed many times since. However, the people in
charge of the 2.1 release and FTP site have since long refused to answer our
repeated questions to make the archive ready to produce new CD images. Please
post complaints about that to debian-release or debian-devel@lists.debian.org.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer