Re: Extra non-free support... please test !

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Le Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 02:46:00AM +0100, Steve McIntyre écrivait:
> > Hmm, we have a problem with this - the Packages.cd files won't work if
> > the CD#1s are different...
>
> :-( You're right. And of course we have the same problem with EXTRANONFREE
> since non-free packages will be listed in the Packages.cd files from
> CD 1,2,3 and the user may not have the fourth CD...
>
> If only we could drop support for dpkg-multicd ... what do people think ?
> Is there anyone still using dpkg-multicd ?

This will be a problem indeed. dpkg-multicd is still in use, and is still in
potato.

Also, I personally kinda "intuitively dislike" the shared-disks idea, probably
because it _seems_ quite complex at first sight (which means it requires
documentation, which would be my task as webmaster ;-).

Add to that the fact that we're in quite-deep-freeze now. The shared-disks
stuff requires extensive testing, but right now we just don't have the time.

Therefore I would propose to have _un_shared disks for all coming test-cycles
and at least the Official 2.2r0 set.

(Shared stuff can of course still be tested/improved privately, but just take
your time and make it as good as possible. Once things have stabilized and are
functioning properly, it can probably be used for 2.2r1 and onward.)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer