Re: Attempted upgrade from 1.3.1

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Philip Charles wrote:
>
> > Ran into a rebooting problem with my upgraded 1.3.1 system.  I then
> > discovered that "update-modules --force" had to be run before rebooting.
>
> That's a good point.
>
> > Another problem emerged, the line that mounts the cdrom in fstab needs to
> > be "/dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 ro,noauto,usr,unhide"  or some-such otherwise
> > the mounting of the cdroms fails halfway through the installation.
>
> What exactly does make it _fail_?

Once the upgrade was well underway the cdrom would be unmounted, but would
not remount.  "mount /cdrom" would not work, but "mount /dev/hdc /cdrom"
would.  Error message "error in line 7 of fstab" - the line with /cdrom.

> AFAIK: "iso9660" could be "auto" as well (for those who burn ext2 CDs ;-)
>        "ro" is implied by the kernel
>        "noauto,user" is generally a bad idea for server systems
>        "unhide" =?? never used it.

Probably over-kill, but it works.  I will investigating further later.

> > I got an upgrade working nicely with a new stock kernel installed as the
> > final step.  I plan to put all the pieces together and modify my CD
> > upgrade cook-book tomorrow.
> >
> > tetex failed to upgrade.  My no. 2 system boots 1.3.1 sloooooowly.
>
> Tetex is fairly complex, so I'm not very surprised. However this is not really
> "fatal", so a manual upgrade at a later time is the way to go. Should be
> documented.

I removed them in the last test, but didn't get round to reistalling.

The documentation could also suggest that tasksel be included in the
dselect installation.

I am about to do another upgrade and will play round with fstab.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818