Re: New APT

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have finished testing the next APT version. Thanks to Paul Wade this
> version has been tested alot against his CD set and works considerably
> better than all past versions.
>
> Richard: This version also contains the tested fix for the RC bug against
> APT, it also fixes about 13 other 'normal' level cosmetic bugs.
>
> Now, it seems to me that given the number of bugs with the older versions
> that nobody is testing installation/upgrade from CD!

You're correct -- nobody is doing upgrades. Nobody is even _thinking_ about
upgrades.

Well, I've personally upgraded 1.3.1 to 2.1 using static apt 0.3.18 with a
3-CD set, and no problems there. What's the exact situation in which the RC
bug occurs?

>    This has to be done
> before we release potato just to make sure everything is going to work! I
> will be available to field reports about how APT performs doing installs
> from CD.
>
> Ben: Can you release a new version targetted at potato ASAP, everyone
> else, my compile is at:
>   http://va.debian.org/~jgg/apt_0.3.18.1_i386.deb
>
> Debian-CD people: For the next testing cycle can you get ISOs ASAP? I can
> arrange to have them widely distributed from sourceforge, saens and
> samosa - their combined bandwidth should easially handle wide spread
> demand.

We will be making potato CDs for _this_ cycle, but there are several problems
that must still be resolved. Notably upgrade stuff (all archs), alpha ld-so,
m68k libc6 and bootfloppies, ppc "something".

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer