Re: UPGRADING procedures available - buzz to potato at once!

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> > Porters to alpha, sparc, m68k: you too will need to provide static versions of
> > apt and dpkg (procedure described at the weblocation above).
> >

> SPARC wont need anything static for slink to potato (and anything before
> that is irrelevant since Debian/SPARC wasn't released until slink), since
> sparc/slink used a pre version of glibc 2.1.

Apt and dpkg in sparc/potato WILL NOT install on sparc/slink. Maybe it will
run (wich I really doubt), but the dependencies are way wrong:

sparc/potato
 apt: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libstdc++2.10
 dpkg: Pre-Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libncurses5, libstdc++2.10

sparc/slink
 libc6: Version: 2.0.105-2
 libstdc++2.10: not available
 libncurses5: not available

So we REALLY need new packages to get a smooth upgrade. I'll inform the porter
lists separately as well, since this has VERY high priority.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer