Re: debian-cd stuff and latest commits

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 09:32:37PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> first (for Adam), can we get again CVS commit posted on the debian-cd
> list (it seems that we only get those for new directories) ?
>
> Next, Ben you commited a couple of changes today, please update the
> changelog accordingly so that we know what happened without looking at the
> CVS history. And why did you need COPYLINK ? What was the problem
> with the symlink farm ? In the "important" notice in CONF.sh, why did you
> remove the possibility of using the symlink farm when hard link can't be
> used ? BTW, CONF.sh is not what will get installed, it's the file
> "debian/CONF.sh" which is the reference, you'd better update this one (ok
> it's probably stupid to have two CONF.sh in the CVS but hey it was for my
> convenience since my CONF.sh always has non-US and i386 when the standard
> CONF.sh refuses non-US and use the current arch)...

Sorry, though I had done that, but looking now I notice that I never
commitd the changelog.

Basically I added the copy portion because symlinking was broken in some
cases. Most notably if the CD image contains devices, then using the -F
option on mkhybrid can have bad results (i.e. if /dev/core is symlinked to
/dev/kcore, it will copy all of your mem to the iso). The reason that the
two (COPYLINK and SYMLINK) cannot be used at the same time is because
link.pl checks SYMLINK first, and only does COPYLINK (in an ifelse) if it
SYMLINK isn't defined. Sort of weird, might be a cleaner way.

Also it allows you to build everything from different devices, which some
people might need to be able to do. Things get double worse when you start
using NFS.

I'll check in the changelog and the debian/CONF.sh updates too.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '