Re: Pseudo-Image-kit problems.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, gregory czajkowski wrote:

> > For rsyncing from an anonymous server, rsh isn't used at all. I don't know how
> > you got that error, but a typo is most likely. (Only one ":" instead of "::"?)
>
> I wish there was a typo but no, there isn't. As you can see in the
> examples I gave.

I tried this on my Linux machine:

$ (export RSYNC_RSH=lol; rsync -v --dry-run rsync.kernel.org::mirrors/debian-cd/2.1_r4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso .)
MOTD:
MOTD:   Welcome to the Linux Kernel Archive.
MOTD:
MOTD:

binary-i386-1.iso
wrote 109 bytes  read 1503 bytes  140.17 bytes/sec
total size is 639348736  speedup is 396618.32
$ (export RSYNC_RSH=lol; rsync -v --dry-run rsync.kernel.org:mirrors/debian-cd/2.1_r4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso .)
Failed to exec lol : No such file or directory
unexpected EOF in read_timeout

I don't know how you did it, but I surely can't reproduce an error with "::"...

> > I have no experience with --partial, but it might well be that you have to do
> > more to get it working (i.e. it might work otherwise than we think).
> >
> Why isn't it supported if its in the official release of rsync by the
> samba team? Was it hacked to work for debian isos?

--partial _is_ supported. I've done a little bit of research, and it seems
that --partial will cause rsync to _replace_ your pseudo-image with the
already-downloaded part (so you lose your pseudo-image) and only if killed
"neatly" i.e. with Ctrl-C which does strange things in Windows most of the
time. So a next rsync will restart with the partial correct image, but it will
fully download the rest and not use the pseudo-image any more. So this is
definately _not_ a "restart" thing like make-pseudo-image has.

> > > Does anyone have a pointer to an rsh/ssh that works under win9x console with
> > > the kit's rsync client  and
> > > with 56k connections.
> >
> > You don't need it.
> >
> So why does rsync die if I dont have it on my machine?

Please try to reproduce it, and tell me the _exact_ command line, so that I
can verify it on a Win98 machine.

> > an rsync proxy. I don't know exactly what an "rsync proxy" is, but my
> > impression is that it is something else than an HTTP proxy.
>

> Actually RSYNC_PROXY is the http proxy that some rsync clients look at to
> get through the firewall. I will be more than happy to point one out.
>
> make-pseudo-image looks at the HTTP_PROXY env variable.
> some rsyncs look at the RSYNC_PROXY env variable  for the http proxy

Sounds interesting. I'll investigate it.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer