Re: Kernel.org debian-cd mirror

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Jim Pick wrote:

> Hi.  This is happening everyday on zeus.kernel.org:
>
> > failed to connect to www.uk.debian.org - Connection refused

Hmmm... there are very much old rsync daemon processes hanging around on
www.uk. Oldest one dates from a week ago and most seem to be swapped out.
Rsync has (default) max. 50 childs or so, so I suspect that'll be the problem.

In case anyone with root rights on open.hands is listening: could you please
shoot off a lot of these old things?

> It looks like the recommended way of mirroring the debian CD images
> has changed.  There's some info here:
>
>   http://cdimage.debian.org/ch4.html
>
> It looks like we're supposed to use the "debcdmirror" script, which
> generates less load on the central rsync server (especially because
> we've got a local regular Debian mirror).  The downside to doing this
> is that it'll be a bit more CPU/disk intensive locally (which probably
> isn't a problem given that we've got good hardware).
>
> The example script has this as the master server:
>
>   RsyncServer="sunsite.org.uk::public/packages/debian-cd/"
>
> Debian people, is this the new master CD image server (instead of
> www.uk.debian.org)?

Nope, www.uk (or better: cdimage.debian.org) is still master, but the script
mentions a higher-capacity mirror for the benefit of all clueless users ;-)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer