Re: How is it decided what packages go on what CD?

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> Philip Charles wrote:

> > > if there may be some method, but some of it truly
> > > looks like madness.
> > >
> > > How is it done?
> >
> > Quite elegant realy.  All the base and necessary packages and the like;
> > followed by the packages that are used by the preselected systems/tasks as
> > defined by boot-floppies; then the recommended/suggested packages for the
> > previous slections.  Finally the rest.  Main, contrib and if allowed
> > non-US and non-free are included in the selection process.
>
> Hmm, that seems sensible.
>
> > Up to now there has not been a list of systems/tasks provided by
> > boot-floppies and so the selection may have seemed to have been haphazard.
>
> The reason why I ask is that I wrote a script that took a Packages
> file and the popularity contest results and did a sort of topological
> ordering on them based on both how many times a package was used
> and the dependencies.
>
> The result is that it could be arranged so that over 99.5% of
> installations
> would only require packages from the first CD. Ofcourse, this only
> took into account the main section, since I assumed packages in main
> could not depend on packages outside of main. This appears to not always
> be true.
>
> I'm just playing here. However it would seem that more use of the
> popularity contest results could be benificial.

With 2.1 the preselected systems took up about 60 - 70% of the first CD.
I have not looked at the new boot-floppies yet to see how much of the
first CD will be taken up with the preselected systems.  I suspect that
most of the spare space on the first disc will be taken by recommended and
suggested packages for these systems, particularly if non-US and non-free
are included. However, the popularity contest could be useful in selecting
packages for the second and third CDs.  Some investigation is needed.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818