Re: How is it decided what packages go on what CD?

Philip Charles wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > >From looking on the CD images itself it looks as
> > if there may be some method, but some of it truly
> > looks like madness.
> >
> > How is it done?
>
> Quite elegant realy.  All the base and necessary packages and the like;
> followed by the packages that are used by the preselected systems/tasks as
> defined by boot-floppies; then the recommended/suggested packages for the
> previous slections.  Finally the rest.  Main, contrib and if allowed
> non-US and non-free are included in the selection process.

Hmm, that seems sensible.

> Up to now there has not been a list of systems/tasks provided by
> boot-floppies and so the selection may have seemed to have been haphazard.

The reason why I ask is that I wrote a script that took a Packages
file and the popularity contest results and did a sort of topological
ordering on them based on both how many times a package was used
and the dependencies.

The result is that it could be arranged so that over 99.5% of
installations
would only require packages from the first CD. Ofcourse, this only
took into account the main section, since I assumed packages in main
could not depend on packages outside of main. This appears to not always
be true.

I'm just playing here. However it would seem that more use of the
popularity contest results could be benificial.

Martijn