Re: [NEWS] status of boot-flopppies

Moin Massimo Dal Zotto,

  Our CD started that we installed a debian system and asked it for
  selection. We put those files on a single CD (420MB) so our distribution
  is self consitent, even if its only a small selection of Potatos.

  We have tested this selection of Potatos to be usefull for initial
  installation, and we'll next test it to be usefull to upgrade older
  debian systems.

> The goal of my proposal was to avoid unnecessary swapping of cd during the
> apt configuration when installin from an official distribution or from a
> "debian-compliant" (meaning still undefined) custom distribution.

  If we now want to send an update CD, that may contain lets say mozilla.m11.
  I should provide any libs and depencicies on that mozilla.m11 needs also on
  this update CD. So if somebody wants to update from mozilla.m9 (on our
  current CD) to mozilla.m11, he does not need anything but my update CD.
  Peter Ganten (peter@ganten.de) had written our script to walk the
  dpkg/status and collect any dependencies.

  Its imho quite easy for a single debian update CD to focus on a hand
  full of topics and to provide a consiten update for those topics. Any
  update CD should also contain a minimal complete update of basic
  packages. So there is no need to change debian to provide smoth update
  CDs, and its even impossible to provide smoth update CDs that asumes
  a changed Debian, as the change would perhaps become implemented after
  the initial system was installed.

> As explained in my previous mail this could be done by storing all the apt
> cdrom.lists in the first (boot) cd, so that apt can automatically copy those
> files when installing from the first cdrom and ask to swap cd's only when
> actually required to install packages from next cd's.

  this is fine for a multi CD installation, if you asume that somebody
  wants anything. Lets say somebody only wants one platform (e.g. i386 :-)
  so he'll have around 3 CDs, if no package is on more than one CD or
  4 CDs, if any CD is self consistent. For the first installation the
  3 CD version (like standard debian) certainly has advantage, but on
  the long run self consistend CDs are easier to handle, imho.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de     	UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:1.2:13'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/		CETERUM CENSEO MSDOS ESSE DELENDAM