RE: DVD?

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Ralph Giles wrote:

>You're only half correct for dvd-ram. Drives are under US$500 now.
>Single-sided disks are available w/o the cartridge at this point, and the
>capacity is only 2.6 GB. The double-sided disks apparently come in
>cartidges at this point. Single-sided media is around US$18, double-sided
>around $30. There's a new 2.0 spec for dvd-ram that is to deliver the more
>usual 4.7 GB capacity, with drive support next year sometime.
>
>It's not clear how many dvd-rom drives can read dvd-ram, so you may have a
>good point there as well.

Very few so far, but things appear to be improving. Hopefully we might
actually get some standards out of the current mess of CD, CD-R, CD-RW,
DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-R+.

<why?>

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,