Re: Debian CD mirror on kernel.org

"J.A. Bezemer" wrote:

> This can be done quite simple by using the MD5SUMS files, like this:
>
>     cp MD5SUMS MD5SUMS.old
>     rsync server::MD5SUMS .
>     if diff MD5SUMS MD5SUMS.old ; then
>       for each image (or: for each CHANGED image) ; do
>         umask/chmod -accessible
>         rsync server::image.list .
>         make-pseudo-image image.list ftp://server/debian
>         mv pseudo-image realname
>         rm -rf pseudo-image*
>         rsync --block-size=8192 server::realname .
>         chmod +accessible
>       done
>       rm MD5SUMS.old
>     fi
>
> NOTE: updating to a "point" release (like 2.1r2 -> 2.1r3) does not necessarily
> require the make-pseudo-image; in that case rsyncing the whole tree may be
> easier (incl. slink-test which has hardlinks to the actual images (or vice
> versa)). However, if you already have a local debian packages mirror, the
> pseudo-image way is faster. And of course it's "the only" way to get major
> updates (2.1 -> 2.2).
>
> If you have converted this into something useful, please let me know. This is
> not really pseudo-image-kit related, but certainly worth publishing on the web
> pages.

There are some real problems with this, though; one of them is that
make-pseudo-image wants to run in the same directory it is installed
in.  This is a bad thing (depending on your filesystem layout it may be
impossible to do an atomic update that way.)  The obvious answer there
is to add something to make-pseudo-image have an output filename.

The other thing that would be very useful would be to make sure each ISO
image file is named .iso and have the .list file associated with it
always at the same location.  This doesn't seem to be the case for all
the directories.

As I said, I think we're close to have something useful, but we're not
there yet.

	-hpa