Re: DVD?

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> It might be possible to manage DLT, but obviosly only on a limited scale.
> I think we could ask around for someone with a DLT drive willing to work
> on this. But if there isn't anyone willing to sell them for us then not
> too much point :>

yup.

> > FWIW, I asked cheapbytes about their dvd plans last week, and they
> > said they don't yet see the demand as sufficient to offset the
> > per-title setup costs. They plan to at some point in the future, but
>
> I wonder if they would feel differently if we handed them a DLT with a DVD
> image on it?

I don't think so. The concern seemed to be the set-up costs. The per-disk
cost would be cheaper than pressing n CDs, but the set-up for the run will
also be higher; I think that's mostly production, not mastering. Better to
present them with a survey of how many would like to buy potato on dvd.
The freeze slip helps too. :)

Here's their actual response:
---