Re: DVD?

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Ralph Giles wrote:

> Sort of. I understand video DVDs use a hybrid filesystem that can be read
> as either iso9660 or UDF. I've only verified the iso half, though. There's
> no reason why a dvd-rom couldn't be created with plain isofs, however. UDF
> is certainly nicer, but write support is still a bit shaky in linux (and
> requires a kernel patch under 2.2) see trylinux.com/projects/udf/ for info
> and http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfennema/udf.html for patches.

See, this is the sort of thing we should be getting lined up now.. If we
don't have the means to make DVD images yet then we should try to get it.

> I've gotten the impression that DVD press houses usually accept images on
> DLT. DVD-RAM and DVD-R drives are now becoming affordable, but they only

It might be possible to manage DLT, but obviosly only on a limited scale.
I think we could ask around for someone with a DLT drive willing to work
on this. But if there isn't anyone willing to sell them for us then not
too much point :>

> FWIW, I asked cheapbytes about their dvd plans last week, and they
> said they don't yet see the demand as sufficient to offset the
> per-title setup costs. They plan to at some point in the future, but

I wonder if they would feel differently if we handed them a DLT with a DVD
image on it?

> Personally, I'm fantasizing about a disk with all-arch binaries on one
> side and source, the complete list-archives and documenation on the other.
> :)

I'm waiting for the multi DVD version of Debian :>

Jason