Re: sunsite.org.uk - rsync access to cd-images

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> Will the images fit in 4G of space?

No.  They are 5.5GB at present, and you always need some slack so that
you can have a couple of images for testing without having to dump the
old images.  They're on a 9GB partition at present.

> If possible I'd like to move the cdimage.d.o domain to samosa which
> has 100mbit to Above.net.  It can permanently run anon rsync without
> much trouble. I can give the people who are building Official CD's
> an account - in a little while we should have another 18G online
> soley for storing and building images.

I think you've misinterpreted the drawbridge comment.  There is not a
bandwidth problem with cdimage.debian.org, there is a demand problem,
in that it appears to be infinite.

Last time we released new CD images, the traffic spike generated by
Sunsite UK was so great that JANET's London backbone was brought to
its knees, and they pulled the plug on Imperial College for a few
days, which is why Sunsite went off the air after the release.  They
have 622Mbits IIRC, so throwing more bandwidth at the problem probably
won't help.

It would be great if you could provide us with another high bandwidth
mirror though, especially if its on the other side of the Atlantic.

The point of password protecting the images is that it protects the
mirrors' ability to get the images in finite time.

Cheers, Phil.