Re: Slink-CD (Part III)

On Apr 12, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 10:17:01AM -0500, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:
> >    In case you missed that point: lha is a file _archiver_, not a compression
> >    utility like gzip. gzip can't substitute for lha.
> >
> > then what about ZIP? It is free, it is file _archiver_ just like lha and
> > probably already ported to Amiga...
>
> I've not seen it in the aminet archive, and don't have it for Atari myself
> (though I think it's available). If someone can locate ZIP for Amiga, I'd
> appreciate a URL.

I know I've used both the pkware ZIP and a port of the Unix ZIP on the
Amiga; I can't remember a URL offhand.  Try util/arc on an Aminet
mirror.

Anyway, zip and unzip are still non-DFSG-free.  OTOH they don't have
the patent issues LHA has.

The UnTGZ someone cited probably isn't free either; at least I haven't
seen source for it.  I know Vaporware (http://www.vaporware.com) is
the author, perhaps someone can get more info there... if it IS
DFSG-free, then that's the ideal solution.

Chris
|          Chris Lawrence         |       Get your Debian 2.1 CD-ROMs       |
|     <quango@watervalley.net>    |        http://www.lordsutch.com/        |
|     Grad Student, Pol. Sci.     |      Visit the Amiga Web Directory      |
|    University of Mississippi    |     http://www.cucug.org/amiga.html     |