Re: Slink-CD (Part III)

On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 05:47:08PM -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> > If it works (i.e. no magic permission bits get lost and Steve can burn a
> > CD using the tarball that Christian or someone else can use), I'll add it to
> > the slink boot-floppies source.
>
> Sure, tar -zcpf amigainstall.tgz would work... but see next paragraph:

Right, you are the one to try, with a newly resurrected Amiga :-)

> Unfortunately, even though there are both tar and gzip for Amiga and
> Atari, neither platform provides convenient pipes.  So you end up
> with:
>
> gunzip < amigainstall.tgz > amigainstall.tar
> tar -xvpf amigainstall.tar

Right; I forgot that was the reason why I never used tar on the Atari ...

Can you give me a hint where tar and gzip for Amiga can be found?

> (LHA only picks up the Unix permission bits... so all you need are the
> bits that tar preserves.)

Sounds good for the purpose of slink-cd.

> I guess the tar files could be provided for use by slink-cd, but lha
> is probably unavoidable for boot-floppies on the Amiga and Atari.

lha was the least of my headaches; not having _any_ program to create
StuffIt archives for Mac under Linux was the bigger one. I've not heard
from the person that offered to write a tool for the DiskCopy format
floppy images, either.

	Michael