Re: rsync connection refused world wide.

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Phillip Dowdy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Using PSEUDO-IMAGE KIT VERSION 2.0 under WinNT I was able to get a pseudo
> image.  I was happily following directions in the README.txt until I
> encountered rsync.
>
> I have gotten "connection refused" from the mirrors world-wide.  I have
> tried multiple variations of the example rsync commands from the the
> README.txt on every site listed at:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/rsync-mirrors.html.  Is there an issue with NT?

Most likely you are behind a firewall that blocks the rsync port. Try to
telnet to the server (e.g. sunsite.org.uk) at port 873. I don't know how to do
this in NT's telnet, but it should be possible; otherwise there are multiple
"intelligent" telnet replacements ;-)  Anyway, you should get connected and
see "@RSYNCD: 20" and a welcome message. If this works, the rsync program is
the problem. If this doesn't work, your firewall is blocking rsync. Please
report your experiences.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer