Re: Yacs-0.1 is here

Le Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 10:18:26AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe écrivait:
> If your script takes two hours to run then that is simply insane, we can
> probably compute the required result in a matter of seconds. What criteria
> do you use for deciding what packages to include on the first disc?

I don't have any criteria ! I include all required, important and standard
packages and then read the list of packages from a file that the user
gives to me. And for each package mentionned by the user I make an apt-get
call in order to include all the dependencies on the same CD if it has
not yet been included (in a previous CD). The list given by the user must
be ordered from the more important to the less important ones. The first
mentionned, the first included ...

And if the script is so long it's because there are 3700 packages (for
a complete set of CD), and for each package there's actually an apt-get
call (with the complete loading of the cache which is about one Mb) ...

Don't bother to try to correct this, I can make this ten times shorter
right now if I want ... if you can write us the deptree function for the
apt-cache program then I suspect that my work will be even much simpler. You
must just make sure that the presence of a package in the first branch
(for the first package listed on the command line) will not change
anything for the second for example :

Suppose that P1 depends on D1 and D2, and that P2 depends on D2 and D3.
Your program should output :
Package: P1
 Depends: D1
 Depends: D2
Package: P2
 Depends: D2
 Depends: D3

As you see the fact that D2 is already listed for P1 does not change
anything for P2 where it is also listed. This will enable me to work
on per-package basis with an unique call to your program. It will
considerably speed the work ...

Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/