Re: Slink-CD (Part III)

   Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 13:00:28 -0700
   From: Michael Schmitz <schmitz@schmitzm.hip.berkeley.edu>
   Cc: Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.UK>, debian-cd@lists.DEBIAN.org,
	   m68k-build@nocrew.org

   On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 07:41:22PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
   >  3. Does slink-cd really depend on lha?  I hope a suggests line is
   >     sufficent since lha is still non-free.  I've spoken with James
   >     Troup who told me that it's only used on Atari machines but they
   >     don't require it, it's only more convenient than gzip.  So can we
   >     pleaes get rid of this dependency?
   >
   >     Cc to the m68k-build crew by request.

   Correction: Atari uses it 'for convenience', Amiga uses it as the only
   reasonable packaging method. Most Amigas don't have 1.44 MB floppy drives,
   the 720k drives are unreliable (that's what Amiga users told me) and
   it's not really an option to install from 720 k floppies in that situation.

   (BTW, that's all documented in the m68k install.{txt,html,pdf}, so I repeat
   the argument just for brevity).

   In case you missed that point: lha is a file _archiver_, not a compression
   utility like gzip. gzip can't substitute for lha.

then what about ZIP? It is free, it is file _archiver_ just like lha and
probably already ported to Amiga...

just a thought

OK