Re: checking the CD through the end user

Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Christian Leutloff wrote:
>
> >Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> >> Well, I've been running pkg-order on the first CD fairly often, so this
> >> should not be a problem. I'm looking right now at making slink_cd do this
> >> step automatically.
> >
> >additionally it would be nice if the end user can check that the CD is
> >all right. It may happen that the CD manufacturer has made buggy
> >CDs. In this case the vendor could ask the buyer to check the CD
> >himself and/or can do it to test examples of the whole CD charge quick
> >and reliable. During each step of making and selling a Debian CD it
> >would be possible to check that everything is all right.
>
> OK, sounds reasonable.
>
> >One way to achieve this could be the checking of md5sums. It would be
> >nice if the checking could be made on "any" operating system.
>
> At what stage? The images all contain a file md5sum.txt in their root
> directories, listing (almost) all files on each CD, and the official
> images we provide also have md5sums.

all stages ;-) - the packages on the local mirror you are already
checking in your scripts - done. Afterwards any CD-ROM can be checked,
with an appropriate call to md5sums. A static compiled binary on the
CD would allow to check the CD on every Linux machine. A DOS port
could be used to check it under DOS or in the DOS box of every Win* PC

Afterwards this feature has only to be documented ;-)

Bye
  Christian

--
Dipl.-Ing. Christian Leutloff, Aachen, Germany  leutloff@sundancer.oche.de