Re: Slink Readiness?

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:00:09 -0500 (EST), Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com> said:
> Chris Lawrence <quango@watervalley.net> writes:
>> There is nothing in any other disks-ARCH because the stuff hasn't
>> been installed yet (on m68k, it's built, but hasn't been moved by
>> hand yet).  The dselect tutorial will be in all of the disks-ARCH
>> eventually.
>                      -- snip ---

Eventually?  It's there now, at least in the boot-floppy source.
Unless boot-floppy builders are not running 'make release', or unless
they are manually removing the files, the files will be there:

./alpha/dselect-beginner.txt
./alpha/ch-dselect-conclusion.html
./alpha/ch-dselect-glossary.html
./alpha/ch-dselect-intro.html
./alpha/ch-dselect-main.html
./alpha/dselect-beginner.html
./i386/dselect-beginner.txt
./i386/ch-dselect-conclusion.html
./i386/ch-dselect-glossary.html
./i386/ch-dselect-intro.html
./i386/ch-dselect-main.html
./i386/dselect-beginner.html

To see for yourself what the documentation per architecture will be,
go to <URL:http://www.debian.org/~aph/boot-floppies/>.

>> So, I really don't see the need for a separate release notes file
>> for each architecture, especially when each one is going to be
>> fairly similar, unless it were integrated into the install guide
>> (or arch-specific things were handled the same way).

>      If the dselect tutorial will be on all of the disks-ARCH, I
> agree.  I withdraw my proposal for separate versions of
> Release_Notes in each architecture.

>      The remaining issues before finally installing Release-Notes
> are confirmation from Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich@anu.edu.au> of
> the status of the possible dpkg-http warning and an answer to
> whether or not sparc's use of glibc2.1 is unique.

I personally think it's inevitable (even if avoidable for slink) that
the Release Notes will have *slight* variations for the different
architectures.  This, in conjunction with the fact that the Release
Notes really shouldn't find it's home in Bob's 'upgrade' package,
makes me think that I should just step up and add the Release Notes to
the boot-floppies documentation tree.  This information will be
installed to www.debian.org/2.1 (or some such) as well.

Bob, if you think this is a good idea, please send me whatever copy
you have and I'll put the release notes into the documentation area of
the boot-floppies package (which you can  also have CVS access to).
I already have the infrastructure there to do different flavors of the
document based on architecture.  I would probably want to move the
file into debiandoc-sgml and use marked sections as I do in the rest
of the document -- I can make ascii flavors too.

Does this sound like the right plan, now and for the future?
I think we have at least *one* more boot-floppies release prior to
release, so we have this weekend to resolve this.