Re: Debian slink CD images

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

>> Cool. I'll have a look at that today. Although I'm not a perl hacker - if
>> it's too obfuscated I may just rewrite in sh...
>
>I have a shell script that selects files from the archive based on a
>package list. I build the package list from the overrides file using awk
>to select packages by priority. It starts with the .dsc files in the
>source archive, gets the binary package names and the source name from the
>.dsc file. If the package is in the list it is moved to the new archive
>along with the source.
>
>I am currently trying to get my mirror up-to-date so I can see how
>"standard" separates out, and then look at optional and extra. The intent
>was to put the source on the same CDs that contain the binaries, so
>everyting is in "one" place.

Hmmm. Judging from earlier comments, people are more interested overall in
getting the number of binary CDs down. Given that, I've got a simple awk
script to split by section: required/important/standard/optional on the
first CD and optional/extra on the second.

To go with this I've made up a list of main optional packages I believe
will move to the second CD without causing dependency hassles and will
probably not be required by the average person buying/getting only the
first CD. The list contains a lot of devel, math, hamradio and doc stuff
and some of the bigger games. It's attached below. Could people please
scan through the list. Complain at me if you think something listed there
is important enough that it must go on the first disk. I'm linking the new
script into the main slinkcd script and I'll be testing this afternoon -
hopefully all should work OK.

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there