RE: III -Thoughts, experiences, ideas...RE: Debian slink CD images

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Jim Westveer wrote:

> Philip Charles wrote...
>
> <snip>
> > Quite a proportion of my customers only want one CD to start with
> <snip>
>
> Actually I agree.  Most likely 80%+ of my customers are
> first time Linux users; and only order 1 disk.
>
> Unfortunately with 2250 packages in slink, no-one has as
> yet come up with a rational way of deciding what packages
> are "important" and should be on a single CD distribution.
**cut

The problem is going to get worse as the "main" fs gets bigger.

For what it is worth, I would suggest that "main" be split, initially into
two parts.

"basic" - disc 1.  This would include all the packages necesary to install
the pre-selected systems. "dialup" etc.  Those people responsible for
putting these systems together would in effect be selecting the packages
for disc 1.

"free" - disc 2.  The balance of main which would be on this disc.  Plus
whatever - "contrib", source?

At this stage a large proportion of "free" would still be included in
"basic", but the way things are growing, 12 months down the track not much
of this will be happening.

I may be too late (but I hope not) with this suggestion for 2.1.0, if so I
would like to think it will taken up at later date.

Are their any other vendors out there with ideas?  After all, vendors are
people that have a close interaction with the users of Debian CDs.

Phil.

Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
For Debian GNU/Linux CDs see http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~philipc