RE: III -Thoughts, experiences, ideas...RE: Debian slink CD images

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Philip Charles wrote:

>> >$ ls -al
>> >total 2949417
>> >drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Dec 14 07:19 .
>> >drwxrwxr-x   4 root     staff        1024 Dec 13 22:51 ..
>> >-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     658735104 Dec 14 07:05 slink1.raw
>> >-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     659068928 Dec 14 07:11 slink2.raw
>> >-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     469905408 Dec 14 07:14 slink3.raw
>> >-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     663418880 Dec 14 07:19 slink4.raw
>> >-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     557266944 Dec 14 07:22 slink5.raw
>>
>> a) you only need 3 binary CDs (less disc swapping during install)
>> b) the non-US step is now entirely optional.
>> c) the main source is now split more sensibly down the middle onto two CDs
>> d) it's more generic and more easily configurable
>
>**Cut
>
>I want some room on slink1 for my own documentation etc.
>Quite a proportion of my customers only want one CD to start with and any
>NZ specific extras should be included on this disc.
>
>IMHO there must be room for Debian distribs to be indigenised.  My New
>Zealand wish list would include a Maori (Tangata Whenua - indigenous
>people) ispell and a small business accounting system customised for NZ
>conditions.  These should be included in the first disc people buy,
>probably in a slink1 local fs.
>
>There is no reason why there could not be indigenous North American, UK,
>German, whatever versions as well.  But there must be room on the right
>discs for the necessary additions.

OK, it's good that you've shouted now then. How much space do you
need/want on disc 1? There's 21MB trivially available at the moment. And
checking my current disc1 I have two copies of the boot floppies (current
has now ceased to be a sym-link in the archive by the look of it) so
there's another ~38MB there. Do you want your extras included in the main
section, or would you be happy to simply have them on the disc and docs
pointing to them?

Hang on, I've missed something here. Wake up Steve. I'll need the
package-ordering thing done to get important stuff on disc1. If anybody
has such a thing written I'll use it, otherwise I'll try to write one
today.

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
home page</a>                          Cthulhu - Why vote for the Lesser Evil?