Re: Hurd-i386 and kfreebsd-{i386,amd64} removal

On 2019-04-14 10:23, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Sat, 2019-04-13 at 12:59 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > On 2019-04-13 12:37, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Before even thinking about uploading the hurd-i386 and kfreebsd
> > > unstable/experimental packages to debian-ports, is there enough
> > > disk space for this on it?  It seems my DD account is not enabled
> > > on ftp.ports.debian.org so I can't check myself.
> >
> > Disk space should be fine to import hurd-i386. There might be enough
> > space to also import kfreebsd-*, but only for the short term. As the
> > number of packages in unstable is increasing regularly, we will need
> > to get more disk space soon, probably before the buster release.
> > Unfortunately the disk space on the ganeti cluster where the
> > porta.d.o VM is hosted is also getting low.
> >
> > The CPU and RAM is however probably to low to add the 3 ports, unless
> > wereduce the number of archive-install run per day (currently running
> > every 6 hours).
>
> One problem with debian-ports is that the sources, most interesting the
> *.debian.tar.* files. You cannot any longer add deb-src to the
> sources.list and apt-get source <package>; dpkg-buildpackage ...

The sources for the unstable and experimental suites are the ones from
the main debian archive, so one can just use the deb-src entries from
the main archive.

There is no deb-src entry for the unreleased packages as debian-ports
hosts multiple architectures and thus might have multiple versions for
different architectures in unreleased. You probably do not want that
"apt-get source foobar" returns you version 1.0.0-1+sh4, while there is
also a hurd-i386 version numbered 1.0.0-1+hurd.

There might be a way to fix that by using a different suite for each
architecture, but that nobody has found that critical enough to write
the corresponding code. Feel free to do so. Note also that it will break
the --target-release option of apt.

> As I understand it the sources have to be added to where the binary
> package are e.g.
> http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-hurd-i386/main/g/gdb/ and
> the way to build from source is dget
> http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-hurd-i386/main/g/gdb/gdb_7.12-6.1+pie.dsc
> etc.
>
> Is there space in ftp.ports.debian.org also for the source packages?

That's not a problem of disk space, the sources are there as you show
yourself above.

Aurelien