Re: Hurd-i386 and kfreebsd-{i386,amd64} removal

Joerg Jaspert, le ven. 12 avril 2019 23:30:31 +0200, a ecrit:
> On 15370 March 1977, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
> > > Today we had our regular FTPMaster meeting and discussed hurd and both
> > > kfreebsd architecture and decided to remove them from unstable and
> > > experimental 2 weeks from now.
> > Just before the Buster release? That's far from the easiest timing.
>
> There is never an easy timing.

Sure, but the deep freeze really is a least easy timing.

> [...]
> > within the coming two-three months (I am already struggling to find time
> > to do what I engaged to). Basically, it means no non-official release of
> > Debian Hurd along Buster. Or at best I could just make that non-official
> > release now, with all the still pending RC bugs.
>
> It all depending on the amount of people the above shows (one) is one
> good reason why its not viable.

Again, I'm not talking about moving to debian-ports or not, but about
now really not being a good time. Just after the Buster release would be
completely fine.

Also, "one" is really enough to do the daily ports things. But when
it's about moving the archive, "one" is not enough. It's not the
sustainability of the ports which is at question here, but suddenly
having to fix all kinds of scripts in all kinds of places before Buster
releases. This is a unexpected burst of work that you can not hope to
see resolved by any kind of Debian team.

> > How is the move to debian-ports supposed to happen? I won't have the
> > time to do anything about it within the 2 weeks.
>
> I honestly wonder if it really needs to be anywhere.

It does.

> It itself doesn't seem to have many developers, probably less users,

There aren't many developers and users indeed, but it still does and
moves forward, not backward.

> and heck, last upstream kernel seems to be from 2016.

Releases don't mean anything for such kind of project, just like
projects on github nowadays often don't bother much with doing releases,
they just say "take the master". If you really want a release, let's
just make one. The actual releases that matter are the snapshots I make,
the latest is dated 20190109.

> While it sure has some nice ideas and concepts in it somewhere,
> it doesn't seem to go anywhere, at all.  Not just in Debian, but
> anywhere.

It does. In terms of isolation and flexibility at the same time, Linux
is still lagging behind it, due to its very monolithic nature.

> But then, I am not involved in Debian Ports. So no idea.

Then please don't FUD, that can't help the discussion.

> It seems to exist there, so probably someone who can upload there and
> is interested in hurd-i386 goes and uploads stuff.

Within a two-week timeframe only?

Samuel