Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

Hi Petter,
(Dropping backports)

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:

>> 1. systemd-shim is not necessary, even for DEs (except GNOME3).
>> 2. sysvinit-core is very stable and do not need new uploads.
>
> Thank you for expressing so well the cause of the fate for sysvinit in
> Debian.  It seem clear its proponents believe everything is OK and no
> effort is needed to save sysvinit.  If this continues, sysvinit in
> Debian will continue to rot and end up being removed.
>
> I know from maintaining the sysvinit set of packages that it require
> work to maintain them.  There are hundreds of open bugs against the
> sysvinit packages in Debian already.

Thank you for all your work on sysvinit, especially insserv.

Please note that I said only *sysvinit-core* the pid 1 ELF is stable.
No worries, we will not let it be and disappear by itself.

My plan is to do something to please those who want to kill sysvinit by
keeping it in a "healthy" state, althrough only cosmetic changes are
needed.

Cheers,
Benda