Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 05:54:34PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > SysV init leaves all the really hard problems to these, as it cannot
> > really do much by itself. That's a fact that people that keep yelling
> > "but SysV init was so easy!" keep finessing..
>
> Absolutely.  And the sysvinit boot system have lots of unsolved problems
> we never got around to figuring out, related to disk and other device
> setup.  The main cause is the fact that the linux kernel is no longer
> predicatble and sequencial, but asynchonous.  No amount of wishful
> thinking is going to bring is back to a world where static sequencing of
> boot events is going to handle all the interdependencies.

Systemd fails to solve them as well -- while introducing a lot of unsolved
problems on its own, such as degraded RAID problems (no, it's not possible
do to that in an event-driven way, you need a static sequence in at least
some cases).

But one thing we can agree on: the situation both approaches try to deal
with is a mess.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ 10 people enter a bar: 1 who understands binary,