Re: Future of kFreeBSD in Debian unstable

On 2 Mar 2018, at 00:12, Svante Signell <svante.signell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm offering you a VM on a fast computer as a buildd for Debian
> GNU/kFreeBSD, similar to a buildd for Debian GNU/Hurd. Too sad to see
> kFreeBSD fading away...
>
> Some computer data: lscpu
> Architecture:          x86_64
> CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
> CPU(s):                8
> Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
> CPU MHz:               4313.232
> Virtualization:        VT-x
> L1d cache:             32K
> L1i cache:             32K
> L2 cache:              256K
> L3 cache:              8192K
>
> I'll provide a VM with the size you ask for, and will install the
> required packages/admit any of you normally doing such stuff.
>
> The download speed is 10 Mbit/sec but upload speed is only 1 Mbit/sec
> due to an ADSL connection. However, James Clarke (jrtc27) thinks that
> would be OK for now. Hopefully, soon we will have a fiber 100 Mbit/s
> connection in bothe directions.
>
> Please let me know how to proceed.
>
> (one alternative would be to move kFreeBSD to Devuan, but that might
> not yet be a good alternative)

Hi Svante,
Firstly thanks again for the VM offer. The main issue now is the lack of
porters, as there needs to be at least one person willing to spend time
checking on the buildds and, since this is a non-Linux architecture,
maintaining the kernel-related packages. Given that it's amd64 and i386, there
shouldn't really be many GCC/binutils toolchain issues to worry about which can
plague less-popular ports, but there is then the issue of teaching language
runtimes how to work on kFreeBSD.

As has been mentioned before, the sensible thing seems to be to move over to
debian-ports as well. Yes, mini-dak has a few annoyances which are a pain when
they occur, but they're manageable, and probably a lot easier than having to
have a DD sign all uploads (as would be the case if it stayed on ftp-master).
Moreover, I've been working on patching dak to work for debian-ports, so
hopefully we will be switching over to that in the not too distant future once
it supports everything we need.

As far as my time goes, I am willing to help setup and maintain buildd
infrastructure for the port, but sadly I can't set aside time to be a porter,
though that may well change in the summer once this academic year is over. If
anyone who wants to see this port continue has time they can regularly devote
to kFreeBSD porting, no matter how little, please let us know, as without you
the port will likely suffer.

Regards,
James