Re: [Pkg-dns-devel] What to do with isc-dhcp-client-udeb?

Hi KiBi,

I would also love to get rid of the isc-dhcp-client-udeb, but so far the message from the busybox team was that the dhcp client there doesn't compile there and needs some upstream work to get it working.

(As a matter of fact, the busybox doesn't compile at all on kfreebsd-* and hurd-i386 right now.)

As for the BIND libraries and libatomic.

There has been some effort to replace the custom atomic code with a C-provided counterpart - it also fixes the mips deadlocks.

But generally, I would prefer to move all BIND libraries into "custom" namespace, so the libraries are not used by anything else, and either:

a) use the custom copy of the libraries inside isc-dhcp
b) prepare separate package for the lib<something>-udeb that would follow the BIND 9.11 development (BIND 9.11 is to be supported for next 4 years) and then remove those AND isc-dhcp from Debian.

The upcoming ISC-DHCP release 4.4.0 is ought to be the _last_ major upgrade, see: https://www.isc.org/blogs/isc-dhcp-the-last-branch/

And if porting udhcpc to kFreeBSD proves to be much work, then perhaps porting dhclient from OpenBSD might be an option?

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>