Re: init

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 07:09:35PM +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Jon Boden <jon@ubuntubsd.org> writes:
> > What are your plans for the future of init on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD? Are you going to continue with sysvinit for the time being?
> >
> > For the upcoming release of ubuntuBSD I'm thinking about using BusyBox
> > + OpenRC
> > (https://blog.flameeyes.eu/2012/03/using-busybox-with-openrc). Do you
> > think this is a good idea? Is there a particular reason you're staying
> > with sysvinit?
>
> The OpenRC package on debian seems stalled. which means sysvinit is the
> one solution that works without further work. There's really not much
> more reason why we're still doing sysv. A working openrc package (even
> from ubuntu) to test the system certainly would be welcome.

Hi Christoph

On Ubuntu the original sysvinit package has become unusable so for ubuntuBSD we need a large patch to restore it: https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntubsd/ubuntubsd/patches-xenial/view/head:/sysvinit.diff

What's wrong with the current openrc package? It worked fine in my tests. I also managed to make it work with BusyBox Init, see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=827733 and https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=827718

--
Jon Boden

ubuntuBSD -- The power of FreeBSD kernel with familiarity of Ubuntu OS!

http://www.ubuntubsd.org/ -- https://twitter.com/ubuntuBSD