Re: kfreebsd -- encryption options

Hello,

Philipp Martis wrote:
> I checked a few other images, namely the daily netboot builds from
> 05/12, 05/18, 06/05 and 06/11 (today).   They all have the same
> problem: "physical volume for encryption" doesn't show up during
> partitioning,

I should probably write this up in the Wiki...

We don't support it yet in the installer, but it is potentially
possible, if you install some part that is unencrypted and set up
encrypted partitions later.

My laptop boots a very small unencrypted root (similar to an initramfs).
An early /etc/rcS.d script prompts me to unlock a geli partition, inside
which I have a ZFS pool which is mounted after that.

The (encrypted) ZFS filesystems can be mounted anywhere - you could
encrypt only /home if you prefer - or even over the top of /usr or /
(the latter would be similar to doing a pivot_root, which is how
full-disk encryption is usually implemented on Linux).

Remember to move /lib/modules into /boot in this case, and put a symlink
back from /lib/modules -> /boot/modules

There are still other ways.  Regular OpenSSH can be used for a
dropbear-type setup.  The FreeBSD kernel has some way to mount an
encrypted root partition by itself;  and GRUB2 supports encryption and
GPG verification of things it loads too.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org