Re: Defaulting to i686 for the Debian i386 architecture

On 04/10/15 11:55, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> kfreebsd-i386's particular niche is supporting ancient platforms like
> these and making them still useful.  And that would be especially
> important to me, if Debian GNU/Linux (and Ubuntu, Fedora etc.) no longer
> worked on them.

I last bought a new computer in 2008. I re-purpose old kit that can no
longer run Windows, laptops, desktops, servers and now I am re-purposing
thin client terminals that can't run modern Linux distributions!

Those that have a vested interest in selling new hardware would love to
see 586 and even 686 support dropped as it prevents people like me from
recycling perfectly good 'old' computers as working computers.

You may be surprised to find that it is still possible to buy
commercially supported DR-DOS 7.03 that runs on 286, with multi-tasking
on 386 & 486 machines...

Please keep 586 support.

-Vince-