Re: openjdk-8

Am 22.06.2015 um 10:50 schrieb Christoph Egger:
> Hi!
>
> Jan Henke <Jan.Henke@taujhe.de> writes:
>> Am 22.06.2015 um 09:07 schrieb Christoph Egger:
>>>   I've just killed openjdk-8 builds for now. It needs itself to build
>>>   (might just need bootstrapping using openjdk-7 -- not sure)
>> as far as I recall OpenJDK-7 would work for bootstrapping. It seems we
>> need that one working on FBSD.
> At least the dependency says so (no help for buildds). kFreeBSD does
> have an (outdated) openjdk-7 available (and I've seen patches for the
> current version quite recently afair). I have no idea how far this
> already works without further patches (and no immediate plan to
> test). Once we have it bootstrapped the autobuilders should be able to
> continue building
>
>> Also the Debian Java team was discussing the greater issue of Java
>> support across all platforms. Since gcj is no longer a working solution.
>> Essentially for any Java application to work we need OpenJDK now.
> Might be something kFreeBSD people are interested in talking about
> during DebConf. If we want to get back into stretch we'll need java for
> sure.
>
>   Christoph

Hi Christoph,

the thread in question is this one:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2015/05/msg00071.html

I cannot find the exact mail any more, but I recall Mathias said
something about needing an OpenJDK to bootstrap OpenJDK builds, I am not
sure though whether that was needed for OpenJDK-8 already or just for
OpenJDK-9. I fully agree a working and up to date OpenJDK is quite
essential for FBSD.

Best regards,
Jan

P.S.: I am on list. ;)