Re: GNU/kFreeBSD "bits", publicity, status report

Steven Chamberlain:
> * (delicately!) mention init system, still being a hot topic
>   - no udev or systemd here;  I guess that makes us a "traditional"
>     Debian flavour, UNIX-like and POSIX-focused
>   - we did lose GNOME (I think mainly due to logind, but also libgbm)
>   - otherwise, we seem to have all we need;  Robert fixed up consolekit
>   - we chose to keep sysvinit as default, but are in a position to
>     easily use alternate init systems;  OpenRC looks promising for the
>     future (perhaps usable already?);  I guess file-rc still works

nosh is available, should you need it.

* http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh.html

The commands and utilities are all there. As of version 1.9 there is a migration path for the FreeBSD /etc/rc.conf{,.local} *_enable settings. There has been a migration path for systemd service/socket/target units for some time, of course. As you can see in the worked example, this works on actual FreeBSD. So there is a way to keep up when Debian Linux development starts spitting systemd unit files at you, as it probably will in the near future if it isn't already. And when people start shoving things like "systemctl enable cron" and "systemctl poweroff" into doco, you'll not be fazed. (-:

Increasing the service bundle coverage is the big remaining task. It's probably irrelevant to you that my goal of having a replacement service bundle for everything (bar two) in the stock FreeBSD /etc/rc.d/ is drawing ever closer. You're probably more interested in the fact that there's a fair number of service bundles replacing Debian /etc/init.d/ stuff, there. Although the existence of zfs-jail and pf service bundles might still intrigue you.

If you want to learn more, I recommend starting with that blurb and then moving on to the nosh Guide and manual pages.