Re: please remove kfreebsd-any from Architecture

Hi Emilio,

On 02/06/14 19:13, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> May I ask what was broken on gdm3 and gnome-shell to have caused all these
> removals? Note that there are efforts upstream to port GNOME to BSD. Was there a
> bug or bugs in gnome-shell and/or gdm3 that led to this?

Sometime during the flamewar it was claimed that they wouldn't function
properly without systemd for the jessie release.

I'm aware of heroic efforts by the BSDs and some GNOME developers[0] to
try to keep it working - I don't this work has caught up with 3.12 yet.
 The 3.13.2 release notes[1] announced that a 'temporary' dependency on
systemd had been introduced.

[0]: http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20140219085851
[1]:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2014-May/msg00034.html

But there are recent statements from Debian GNOME maintainers that they
wouldn't support such a configuration either way:

On Mon, 12 May 2014 11:54:43 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> As far as GDM is concerned, any bug reported with systemd-shim installed
> will be ignored. The bug script should probably be updated to that
> effect, BTW.

Also related, I suspect there was pressure being exerted on the release
team to try to disqualify kfreebsd as a release arch entirely.  Agreeing
to drop GNOME was something of a compromise I think.

We still see conflicts with some GNOME maintainers even over trivial
issues, making it difficult to collaborate:

http://lists.debian.org/20140531155148.GA26808@fatal.se
(rude answer, which still didn't address key questions asked)

[🔎] 20140602121342.GA13205@fatal.se">http://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 20140602121342.GA13205@fatal.se
(dismissed my concerns over gnoem-terminal Build-Depends: gnome-shell
[requiring whole GNOME desktop to build it] with "random ramblings removed")

So I think there are mostly human rather than technical reasons.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org