Re: [Pkg-zfsonlinux-devel] any news/reply regarding ZFS in NEW?

I'm not anyone "important," but I'd like to suggest you just rename the
conflicting packages now. It's quite possible that at least part of the
reason it's languishing in the NEW queue is because every time an
ftp-master looks at it, they think "Oh right, this mess." They can't
find a firm reason to reject it, but they can't find a firm reason to
say it's okay either. So it just sits.

I suspect that the "objective reality" here is that there's no actual
Policy statement against this, but the tools aren't setup to handle it
either. In the past, I've looked for a Policy statement to try to
resolve this either way, but I wasn't able to find one. But even if it's
not prohibited explicitly, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good
idea. ZFS on Linux is complicated enough without needing to worry about
corner cases in Debian tools.

zol-zfsutils or linux-zfsutils or something should be fine. Adding
"Provides: zfsutils" might be wise as well. Then, ideally, the FreeBSD
side could rename theirs too, and add the same Provides.

If at some point in the future, they share a codebase, then (and only
then) the packages can be merged.

--
Richard