Re: Init system for non-Linux ports

Hi folks,

I’m just a lambda user of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, not a Debian Developer or
Maintainer. But if I could give you guys my 2 cts, I’d encourage you to
really consider launchd for this discussion. It’s a proven system, which
has been in use for many years in what’s arguably one of the most widely
used flavors of Unix-like OSes, since it powers every single Mac and iOS
device out there.

And fortunately it's all open source, under the Apache License Version
2.0.

Furthermore, if you Google some of these big names (launchd, OpenRC and
systemd), narrowing down the search results to wiki.freebsd.org, it will
be pretty clear that launchd seems to be only one that’s actually being
worked on by FreeBSD developers: https://wiki.freebsd.org/launchd
I couldn’t find any similar page for the other contenders on the FreeBSD
wiki.

Surely, using the same init system as the one that FreeBSD might use
someday will be nice for maintaining the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port in the
long run.

Cheers,

--
Joel Lopes Da Silva