Re: Init system for non-Linux ports

On 21/02/2014 19:09, Joel Lopes Da Silva wrote:
> Furthermore, if you Google some of these big names (launchd, OpenRC and
> systemd), narrowing down the search results to wiki.freebsd.org, it will
> be pretty clear that launchd seems to be only one that’s actually being
> worked on by FreeBSD developers: https://wiki.freebsd.org/launchd
> I couldn’t find any similar page for the other contenders on the FreeBSD
> wiki.
>
> Surely, using the same init system as the one that FreeBSD might use
> someday will be nice for maintaining the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port in the
> long run.

That's interesting to hear. Since we're forced to diverge from Debian GNU/Linux
on this, it'd certainly be helpful if we could synergize with FreeBSD.

I was silently hoping that FreeBSD might eventually adopt OpenRC if it gains
more traction. What do you know of FreeBSD project position regarding launchd?

You mentioned some pointers to the wiki which can be used as speculation, but
has this matter actually been proposed/discussed?