Re: issues affecting kfreebsd d-i

On 04/02/14 09:47, Robert Millan wrote:
>> I'm guessing /var/cache/anna in the ramdisk initially, but udpkg
>> installs their contents one at a time all over the root filesystem.
>
> So we can get rid of almost half the problem by adding a single line to /sbin/init?

What do you mean?  A tmpfs for /var/cache/anna?

I imagined udebs are fetched to there, installed elsewhere and
immeditaely cleaned, one at a time, so it probably won't help very much
(only by as much as the size of the largest udeb).

The stuff extracted throughout the filesystem will be more than half of
the problem.  And I suspect there are other places where a tmpfs would
be more helpful, perhaps where debconf templates are written for
processing - I'll try to find a way to measure where most space is being
used up.

> Sounds like a good start... and it doesn't preclude reducing the size in other
> ways. What do you think?

In the case of a low-memory install it could actually need more memory
than before.  If there's a fixed-size allocation already for the ramdisk
(with free space inside it) and now a new allocation for anything
written to the tmpfs.  If we did this we should try to shrink the
ramdisk to compensate.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org