Seeking help to diagnose a PAM issue of GNU/kFreeBSD.

Dear all,

I am since two years the driving developer of GNU Inetutils.
Building "inetutils-ftpd" on kfreebsd-amd64 on Wheeze with
PAM support produces authentication failures of this kind

   $ tail -2 /var/log/auth.log
   .. thule ftpd[1234]: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_unix): \
   /lib/security/pam_unix: cannot open shared object file: \
   No such file or directory
   .. thule ftpd[1234]: PAM adding faulty module: pam_unix

I get the impression that libpam is not able to correctly
act on multi-arch support. Of course, this failure is
not present on GNU/Linux, OpenIndiana or FreeBSD, but only
"kfreebsd-amd64" is stubbornly misbehaving.

Could some experienced member come up with an idea as what
mechanism happens to fail on this valued architecture?!
Out of plain reasons being active on the upstream end,
I am not using the deb-packaged software in this particular
case , so I really cannot tell whether the same issue exists
with the package "inetutils-ftpd".

Best regards,
  Mats E A